Thursday 3 March 2016

Detoxify your life

I was using some hairspray yesterday in the bathroom whilst Leo was asleep and it dawned on me that I didn't know what was in it and what damage inhalation could cause. I decided to then look into what other products I use that could have a potentially detrimental affect on health. I realised I make all this effort to eat clean, yet there are so many other ways to absorb toxins into your system.

There is the fact that you also have to chose your battles. It would be lovely to live in a place with virtually no air pollution, but for the life I want to lead, that's just not practical. One of the biggest exposures is through skin contact and the products we use.

I chose not to dye my hair throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding as I didn't want to expose Leo to anything unnecessarily, but why would I want to expose myself to these things and also, I'm absorbing toxins through my moisturiser, cosmetics, shampoo, hand soap etc, all the time!

I found this list of what to avoid and I am going to go through my cosmetics to see what I've been using for all these years!

I use mascara every day now that my hair is short, I look like a boy otherwise! The other things I use are hair products, which I never have done before, shampoo and soap.

I've ordered some of this mascara, physician's formula, I read about it being one of the better reviewed ones on an American site and isn't outrageously expensive either, so we shall see how that goes.

I'm also looking for a hair spray and wax that doesn't have all the nasties in it and a shampoo and conditioner to do the same. Also on the list is bronzer, lipstick, moisturiser and eye pencil. Other than moisturiser, which I use a few times a day, the others I don't use so much.

I currently use Aveda shampoo and conditioner


The Aveda site doesn't even list the ingredients which is concerning! On further Google inspection:

Aqueous Extracts (Water)
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf
Decyl Glucoside
Sodium Coco (Babassu Sulfate)
Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate Babassuamidopropyl Betaine
Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba Gum (Guar) Calophyllum Inophyllum Seed Oil Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol
Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Corn Starch
Dehydroxanthan Gum
PPG 3 Benzyl Ether Myristate
Glycol Distearate
Fragrance (Parfum) Limonene
Geraniol,
Citral,
Linalool,
Citronellol,
Capryloyl Glycine,
Polysorbate 20,
Sodium Chloride,
Sodium Gluconate,
Sodium Benzoate,
Salicylic Acid.

So, on a quick inspection, I have highlighted the baddies.. Pretty grim reading tbh. Some are simply skin irritants and others are gruesome nasties that have been found in breast Cancer tissue, as one example! Good start!

He mascara I use is Max Factor 2000 calorie.


Aqua,
Acrylates Copolymer,
Glyceryl Stearate,
Disteardimonium Hectorite,
Propylene Glycol,
Stearic Acid,
Cera Carnauba,
Triethanolamine,
Polyvinyl Alcohol,
Synthetic Wax,
Lecithin,
Propylene Carbonate,
Oleic Acid,
Alcohol Denat.,
Benzyl Alcohol,
Panthenol,
Ascorbyl Palmitate,
Tocopherol,
Phenoxyethanol,
Methylparaben,
Ethylparaben,
Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate,
Propylparaben,
Disodium EDTA,
Tetrasodium EDTA,
Xanthan Gum,
Simethicone,
Potassium Sorbate,
EDTA, [+/- Cl 77007, Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499]

This is absolutely riddled with shockers! actual Paraben party in a pot! I'm lucky in that I don't have sensitive skin, so the irritants don't obviously affect me. His doesn't mean that they aren't affecting me internally though and Paraben's; well, they're just the mafia of makeup nasties it seems!


This is the main product I use on my hair, and WOW! I think this is probably the worst one I own!

Aqua (water/eau),
Propylene Glycol,
Ozokerite,
PVP/VA Copolymer,
Petralatum,
Oleth-20,
Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil),
Oleth-3,
Oleth-5,
SEA-Oleth-3 Phosphate,
DEA-Oleth-10 Phosphate,
PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl,
Tetrastearate,
PEG-6,
Caprylic/Capric Glycerides,
Parfum (Fragrance),
Benzyl alcohol,
Coumarin,
Limonene,
PEG-45M,
Diazolidinyl Urea,
Methylparaben,
Propylparaben,
CI 42090 (Blue 1), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 15985 (Yellow 6).

I think I would end up highlighting this entire ingredients list tbh!

Im not going to go on, u basically need to change all of my products asap. It's finding ones that do what I want without costing a fortune for mediocrity.. My health and my family's health is worth it though. I shall update how I get on and the products I end up using


No comments:

Post a Comment